Thursday, July 28, 2016

Fullness of Joy

So, I've been thinking lately about what it means to have joy. I mean to really have joy, no matter what external circumstances may arise. The dictionary defines joy as:
 
The emotion of great delight or happiness caused by something exceptionally good or satisfying; keen pleasure; elation
 
Growing up in the church, I'd often hear an exuberant church mother proclaim, "This joy that I have; the world didn't give it to me, and the world can't take it away!" She was testifying to this "joy" bestowed upon her by her savior.
 
I have often felt that joy.
 
Psalm 16:11 states, "You will make known to me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; In Your right hand there are pleasures forever."
 
Wow...fullness of joy.
 
This type of joy cannot be manipulated by external things, people, or circumstances. A person cannot give this to you. They might have the ability to make you happy for a while, but this overwhelming joy can only be found in Christ. Ask me how I know? Go ahead...I'll wait.
 
- Ernee, how do you know?
- I'm so glad you asked ;-)
 
I know this to be true because currently in my life, I am dealing with a rather difficult emotional situation. It's not fun. However, I am keenly aware of the indescribable joy that I have when I am in the presence of the Lord. It's amazing. In John chapter 15, Jesus speaks with his disciples regarding the importance of abiding in him and in verse 11 he states, "I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete."
 
Wow...complete joy.
 
It is so important to remember that our joy and our strength come form the Lord. In life we are going to face difficult times and will even be discouraged. However, it is comforting to know that we can find joy in the Lord. And I don't know about you, but I find that I have strength for the journey when I am focused on him. 
 
Wherever you are, if you find yourself reading these words, please know that it is not by mistake. The Lord wants me to let you know that you can find joy in him. The joy he gives is not fleeting, but it is lasting and will fill your life completely.  
 
Till next time,
Stay connected :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment